As a mom or dad, you’re always looking for ways to save money. And one of the best ways to do that is by reducing your car insurance premiums. Here are some tips on how to do just that.
Tips to Save You Money on Auto Insurance
- Maintaining a clean driving record is important. Your driving record is one of the largest factors that insurers consider when determining your auto insurance premium. You should always practice safe driving by eliminating distractions, focusing on your surroundings and driving defensively.
- There are many discounts available from insurance companies. Ask your agent what discounts might be available to you, such as for being a good driver or student, or taking safety courses.
- Compare insurance companies. They all have different ways to figure out how much your premium will cost. Talk to your insurance agent and ask for quotes from different insurers. That way, you can see which company offers the best price for the coverage you want.
- Choose a deductible that is right for you. A higher deductible will mean that you have to pay more if you need to file a claim. If you have a clean driving record, haven’t been at-fault in any accidents, and can afford to pay more, then you may want to choose a high-deductible plan.
- You can reduce your costs by reporting your mileage. The less you drive, the less you will have to pay for car insurance. If you can, try to limit the amount of driving you do. And if you have reduced your mileage, be sure to let your insurer know so they can adjust your premium costs.
- Choose a car that is easy to insure. Cars that have lower safety ratings and are more expensive to repair typically have a higher premium. Ask your insurance agent about the different premiums available for each model of the vehicle you are considering in order to find the most cost-effective car to insure.
- Maintaining a good credit history is important to most insurance companies when they are deciding how much your premium will be. You should check your credit report regularly for any inaccuracies, keep your credit card balances low and make all of your payments on time.
- Many insurance companies offer discounts if you have multiple policies with them. For example, you can get a discount if you have your home and car insurance with the same company.